Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Today's Forgotten Oldie...

I met Hal Atkinson in August 2012 at Goose Island Campground.  I knew who he was right away, and he was shocked that someone remembered him, and his incredible song.  But I remembered playing "Kathy Believe Me" on the radio back in 1972, and I remembered seeing Hal perform with the Shy Guys about that time as well.  Producer Dale Menten had Hal record the song in Minneapolis, and it became a La Crosse hit record.  One of those marvelous "local" stories.  Anyway, I got to know Hal pretty well, spent a lot of time around the campfire chatting, and even got him to do a couple flute solo's at one of my band's gigs.  Hal was an amazing musician, and a Hollywood actor appearing in The Mighty Ducks, The BabySitter, and Bound and Gagged: A Love Story. He has a very incomplete page on IMDB under the name Hal Fort Atkinson III. He also had a recurring role as Elaine's doctor on Seinfeld.
Yesterday I heard Hal died in California of complications from pneumonia.  So today's forgotten oldie is my friend Hal Atkinson, and Hal's great local hit "Kathy Believe Me."